For general information about dogs in Alta click here.
Dog Licensing in Alta
Any dog found within the boundaries of the Town must be licensed by the Town per Ordinance 5-2-3: Animal Control. Regulations on licensing, renewals, applications, waste disposal, dogs on leash, reporting attacks etc. are also found in the ordinance. All Alta dog licensees shall agree to have read, understand, and willingly abide by these regulations. Please refer to our ordinance for a description of various license classes and the resolutions page of our website for the number in each class. The Town is also posting and sharing access to the 1997 USFS Special Order regarding prohibited acts on National Forest lands in Little Cottonwood Canyon.
Annual Licenses: Currently, there are no annual licenses available to apply for. If you wish to be added to a notification list in the event that the Town Council authorizes a drawing please email Jen at email@example.com.
Temporary Dog Application – Click here for the fillable form (download/save, then fill out and send)
The temporary licenses are intended to be truly temporary and not to replace annual licenses. Complete and submit applications to the Deputy Town Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to PO Box 8016, Alta UT 84092. Please follow these guidelines when applying:
- There is a $50 fee for licenses that are 14 days or less and a $125 fee for more than 14 days.
- Each temporary license can be requested from 1 to 30 days (no more).
- Licenses cannot be issued consecutively. There must be at least 14 days between licenses held.
- Applications can be submitted no more than 30 days in advance of the initial license request date – please time your requests accordingly.
- The Town has 10 temporary licenses. Licenses are divided into the following categories: 1-3 days (3), 4-14 days (3), 15-30 days (3), and 1-30 days (1).
- Applicants/dogs have a cumulative 90 day cap for the year starting July 1 and ending June 30. It is up to applicants to decide on their request dates, for example this could be up to three 30 day licenses or up to six 15 day licenses.
- Licenses are generally issued on a first come – first serve basis, in combination with meeting eligibility requirements and license availability.
- Once a license has been issued, dates can not be adjusted. If you would like additional dates, please make a new request.
- $125 Annual dog license
- $100 Annual license for spayed or neutered dog
- no dog will be licensed as spayed or neutered without proof that sterilization was performed
- $125 Class D temporary dog license (authorization letter) issued for more than 14 days
- $50 Class D temporary dog license (authorization letter) issued for 14 days or less
- $25 Watershed tag (one-time fee for annual licenses)